Dietitians in Nutrition Support is Dietetic Practice Group #24 of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
DNS members, more than 3600 strong, are practitioners integrating the science of enteral and parenteral nutrition to provide appropriate nutrition support to individuals in inpatient and outpatient settings, including transplantation, home care and pediatrics.
Membership in DNS offers an excellent opportunity to network with colleagues and contribute to the profession of dietetics.
- Support Line, a bimonthly peer-reviewed publication providing current clinical practice articles and interpretations of current research, and offering free continuing professional education credits for each issue
- A lively Web site featuring DNS and Academy news, reports on legislative events, technological advances, Web pages on home care, transplant and pediatric issues, research updates and a clinical topic forum
- Professional and student scholarships for continuing education
- Research fund
- A writer's mentoring program to help members prepare articles for publication
- A speaker’s bureau to assist members in linking with speaking venues
- DNS members continue to develop new products to promote member skill development. Currently available products include:
- A physical assessment video and study guide
- Enteral and parenteral slide sets with script
Special features available through our website include:
- Online copies of Support Line and CPEUs for each issue
- The Member Forum, where you can submit and discuss topics of interest
- Officer pages and contact information
- Author guidelines for Support Line
- Writer’s Mentoring Program information
- Speaker’s Bureau Application Forms
- DNS Research Award Application
- Academy Professional Issues Delegate Reports
- and much, much more.
Newsletter Name and Unique Features
- Support Line is a bimonthly publication: peer reviewed, indexed in Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature, including continuing professional education articles and opportunities, and a question and answer column (Inquire Here). For a subscription, contact Cheryl Thompson, PhD RD, CNSC, $50 for non-Academy eligible individuals and $100 for institutions per year.
- American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (A.S.P.E.N.) and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy): "Standards of Practice and Standards of Professional Performance for Registered Dietitians (Generalist, Specialty and Advanced) in Nutrition Support"
- MNT Protocol: Enteral Nutrition in Acute Care/Adults.
Academy Positions Involvement
- Nutrition intervention in the care of persons with human immunodeficiency virus infection
- The role of the registered dietitian in enteral and parenteral nutrition support
- Functional foods
- Ethical dilemmas in nutrition and hydration across the lifecycle
- Medical Nutrition Therapy and Pharmacotherapy
- Scope of Dietetics Practice Framework
Current DNS Projects:
- DNS is proud to offer Skills Workshops, educational events focusing on advanced skills for dietitians, which include feeding tube placement and physical assessment. Upcoming sessions are planned for Charleston, SC, September 26 and 27, 2008 and Clinical Nutrition Week 2009 in New Orleans on January 31, 2009.
- DNS is also offering hands-on nutrition support focused workshops on the Nutrition Care Process at FNCE 2008 in Chicago, October 25, 2008 and at Clinical Nutrition Week 2009 in New Orleans on January 31, 2009.
- Evidence Analysis — Critical Illness Workgroup: Ainsley M. Malone, MS, RD, LD, CNSD, Chair — Ongoing work with evidence analysis questions will continue with revision of concluding statements and evidence summaries along with the release of the Critical Illness Toolkit, scheduled for the Fall of 2007. Refer to the following link: http://www.adaevidencelibrary.com/default.cfm?library=EAL
- DNS was a gold-level sponsor for the A.S.P.E.N. Clinical Nutrition Week, 2008 in Chicago and will continue this level of sponsorship for 2009. (http://www.dnsdpg.org/
Awards, Grants, Scholarships (DNS members only):
- Member Research Grant
- Distinguished Service Award
- Distinguished Practice Award
- Professional Development and Student Scholarships
Join DNS Online